Check your RICA status on MTN, Vodacom, Cell C and 8ta for FREE
The Regulation of Interception of Communications and Provision of Communication-Related Information Act (RICA), requires compulsory registration of all SIM cards in use, and came to end on 30 June 2011.
This Act requires mobile operators, service providers and sellers to register the identities, physical address and cellular phone numbers of new and existing customers who purchase or have purchased SIM cards. All cell users, both prepaid and contract, will be required to show proof of identity and to present a utility bill to show proof of residence in order to be registered.
You need the following information and documentation to register:
|Full names and surname.|
|ID number or passport number.|
|Green bar-coded ID, ID card, temporary ID or passport as proof of identity.|
|Proof of address, such as a bank statement, municipal rates, cellphone or retail account or motor vehicle licence. If you live in an informal settlement you can provide a letter and/or affidavit from where you receive your post.|
Check Your RICA Status on MTN
1. Dial your MTN number *131*4#
2. RICA Quick Search click here and Type in your phone number and click "Check"
Go to a MTN store and ask one of the consultants
Check Your RICA Status on Vodacom
Sending the word RICA to 31050 on your Vodacom
1. Go to vodacom.co.za
2. Click on login in the top right and log in
3. Click on the My Vodacom tab
4. Click on ‘RICA status’ on left hand side of screen under ‘Account info’
Go to a Vodacom store and ask one of the consultants
Check Your RICA status on Cell C
1. Dial 140 from a Cell C number or 084 140 from any other number
2. Users can check their status by dialling *133*7422#.
Go to a Cell C store and ask one of the consultants
Check Your RICA status on 8ta
1. Dial 180 from a 8ta number or 081 180 from any other number
Go to a 8ta store (Telkom Direct store) and ask one of the consultants
Check Your RICA status on Virgin Mobile
Dial *124#. You will receive an SMS containing your RICA status.